If you have little ones, start them young with these good sun safe habits! Consistency is key, even with my strong-willed youngest! He eventually realized he's so much more comfortable with sunglasses on and now won't go outside without them! Win for mom!
So here are my 5 tips for all of us to follow:
1. Wear a hat - wide brimmed is even better for more coverage! There are hats with drawstrings to help them stay on if on the boat, so you don't have to compromise sun safety for a boat ride!
2. Wear sunglasses - they don't have to be polarized, but they do need to have 100% UVA/UVB protection! Polarized sunglasses cut down the glare to make it more comfortable but don't provide any additional sun protection. The tint of the lenses are up to you. Generally if you are more light sensitive a grey lens is nicer.
3. Wear sun protective clothing - UPF 50+ blocks 98% of the UVA/UVB rays. Bright colours and tightly woven fabrics provide great protection! Cover as much skin as possible with the clothing! Check out our environmentally friendly fabrics and convenient designs for kids!
4. Wear sunscreen - on any skin that is not covered by the above 3 tips. This should be your last line of defence against the sun and also applied 15-30 minutes before going outside!
5. Drink lots of water/fluids/popsicles - anything to keep everyone hydrated!